Mission Viejo Nadadores
1 and 2 Mile Rough Water Swim
Sanctioned by Southern Pacific Masters Swimming for USMS, Inc. Sanction #336-W004
Date: Sunday, September 18, 2016
Start Time: 8:00am and 9:00am
Start Location: Salt Creek Beach (see locations link for address and map)
Finish Time: 8:45am and 10:15am
Race Distances: 1 mile and 2 miles
Awards: 10:15 am
1 and 2 mile courses marked with colored buoys. Swimmers will swim in a clockwise direction.
The event will start on the beach approximately 20 feet from the water’s edge and finish on the beach marked with flags through the chute at the computer-timing chip pad.
The average water temperature for this time of year has been between 62 to 68 degrees F.
The event will start on the beach approximately 20 feet from the water’s edge. The finish will be on the beach marked with flags.
RACE DAY TIMELINE
7:00am Check-in opens on beach
7:40am Mandatory Safety Meeting for all swimmers
8:00am 1 mile first wave start, all preceding wave start (fast to slow)
9:00am 2 mile first wave start, all preceding wave start (fast to slow)
10:15am Awards for both 1 mile and 2 mile
A public briefing of all swimmers held prior to the start of the event will include:
1. Course directions/markers/rules
2. Starting procedure and signals
3. Finish procedures and cut-off time
4. Procedure for getting aid while swimming
5. Participants’ obligations if they drop out
6. Opportunity for withdrawal if a swimmer has apprehensions as to their ability to participate
7. Positioning of the swimmers at the start so that the faster swimmers are at the front.
All swimmers must be registered with USMS for 2016 or foreign equivalents.
You must submit a copy of your 2016 USMS card or foreign equivalent with mail in entries.
Wetsuits are allowed but will not be scored and will not be eligible for awards. Online registration entries for USMS swimmers will be automatically verified at www.ClubAssistant.com.
One-Event (OEVT) registration membership is not available.
To renew or join USMS Online, visit http://www.usms.org/reg/.
- The early online entry fee is $45.00 (paper entry $50.00) if received before midnight (Pacific Time) on Friday, September 9th. $60.00 for both races. (early entries recieve a t-shirt)
- Late entry fee is $55.00 (paper entry $60.00) if received between September 10 and September 16th. Online entry closes midnight Spetember 16th at midnight. (PST)
- Day-of-Race fee $75.00. (MUST BE A USMS MEMBER)
- Fee includes refreshments, electronic timing, and cap.
- Incomplete entries will not be processed.
- ONLINE ENTRIES ARE PAID BY CREDIT CARD TO CLUBASSISTANT.COM EVENTS.
USMS open water rules will govern. Current SPMS Open Water procedures will be enforced and take precedence over any errors or omissions on this entry form.
ALL ENTRANTS MUST BE 18 AND OVER AND A MEMBERS OF UNITED STATES MASTERS SWIMMING.
Our Primary Concern: For safety reasons, participants should be adequately trained for open water competition. Each swimmer must wear the provided swim cap on their head during the duration of the swim.
Previous open water experience is required. One mile swimmers must finish the course under 45 minutes. Two mile swimmers must finish the course under 1 hour 15 minutes. Swimmers who do not make the cut off times will be removed from the course.
Swimmers in the water after the time limit will be notified that the race is over and they must leave the water at that time. Results will show their time as Did Not Finish. (DNF)
Safety watercrafts (e.g., jet ski.) and lifeguards on paddleboards will monitor the entire course. Swimmers must wear body-marked race numbers on arms and cap for identification. Medical personnel will be on-site.
Enhanced Thermal Plan for Cold Water Swims: USMS Rules for Open Water Swims dictate that...
(1) A swim shall not begin if the water temperature is less than 60° F. (15.6° C.), unless heat-retaining swimwear is required of all swimmers or a USMS-approved thermal plan is in place.
(2) A swim in which heat retaining swimwear is required of all swimmers shall not begin if the water temperature is less than 57° F. (13.9° C.) unless a USMS-approved thermal plan is in place.
Thermal Plan for Cold Water Swims
PROOF OF TIME/PERFORMANCE
2015 proof of time and race history is required for heat selection (fast to slow). Swimmers must list 2015 open water experience or pool mile with proof of time.
Since the safety of swimmers is of prime concern, the swimming event may be delayed or canceled due to bad conditions. The Event Director and OC Lifeguards will make this decision.
There will be no refund.
All entrants will receive an official race cap. No fins, buoys or other devices allowed. Wetsuits are permitted, and will be eligible for awards but not for the SPMS Open Water Series points.
Only USMS Category I swimwear is allowed (see http://www.usms.org/rules/part3.pdf, Rules 303.7.1 & 303.7.2). Category II swimwear (e.g., Wetsuits) are NOT eligible for awards and points towards the SPMS OW Series.
Ribbons will be awarded to the top 3 men & women in each age group.
Age groups are: 18-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85-89, and 90+.
Awards will be presented at 10:15 am.
No refunds will be given.
ON LINE REGISTRATION OPENS MAY !, 2016
SPMS OPEN WATER SERIES EVENT
Annual series of sanctioned SPMS swims with points awarded for places.